FITSNews is reporting that the one and only Becky Hill, the one who is under investigation by the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division for jury tampering and other crimes, allegedly met with Alex Murdaugh prosecutors from the South Carolina Attorney General Office at a SLED office in Walterboro, South Carolina. This just days before Ms. Hill's crucial testimony in Alex Murdaugh's bid for a new trial. Someone thought meeting with prosecutors and investigators who are supposedly pursuing charges against her was a good idea.
The ostensible purpose of the meeting? To ensure Hill, the state's star witness in the jury tampering allegations against her, was prepared for next week's pivotal evidentiary hearing. This feels a lot like putting your thumb on the scale.
Hill, who announced the verdicts in Murdaugh's high-profile double murder trial, has faced a string of ethical and criminal complaints in recent months. However, the narrow scope of the upcoming hearing should shield her from addressing most of them.
Murdaugh's attorneys allege Hill tampered with the jury, including pressuring them for a quick guilty verdict and conspiring to remove a potentially sympathetic juror. Hill also stands accused of ignoring juror misconduct allegations.
Her alleged motives? Financial gain and book sales. Murdaugh's lawyers claim she "betrayed her oath of office for money and fame."
Hill is currently under investigation by SLED for jury tampering and potential misuse of office, and faces separate probes by the state ethics commission. Some of these allegations are expected to lead to criminal charges.
Further complicating matters, Hill and her son, former county IT director Colt Hill, are suspected of obstructing justice in connection with these investigations.
Adding to the intrigue, Hill met with prosecutors and SLED investigators in Walterboro on January 23rd, exactly one year after jury selection began in Murdaugh's trial. Sources described the meeting as preparation for Hill's upcoming testimony.
The meeting's timing and participants raise questions about potential conflicts of interest. It remains to be seen how this latest development will impact Murdaugh's bid for a new trial and the ongoing investigations into Hill's conduct.
- Becky Hill, a key witness in Alex Murdaugh's new trial bid, met with prosecutors and investigators despite facing charges herself by the same office.
- The meeting's purpose was reportedly to prepare Hill for her testimony in the jury tampering allegations against her according to FITSNews..
- Hill's credibility has been tarnished by ethical and criminal complaints, but the hearing's scope may limit the impact of these issues.
- Murdaugh's attorneys accuse Hill of manipulating the jury for personal gain.
- Hill faces multiple investigations and potential criminal charges related to her conduct and alleged obstruction of justice.
- The timing and participants of the meeting raise concerns about potential conflicts of interest.
This story is still developing, and we will continue to provide updates as they become available.